Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Which Album editions are the best?

forum rss feed
Author

Cygnus X-1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cygnus X-1
Bohemian: 498 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 07, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know this has been asked before, but which CD versions are the best (soundwise)? I have all Albums on Vinyl and CD, but the CD's are the first ones who came out in the 80's.

The 2001 Japanese pressings look really good, but they are expensive, so what's your opinion?

Greetings, Olli

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3033 posts

Posted: 23 May 07, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The latest mini vinyl remasters are the best 'normal' releases to datein terms of sound quality - they really seem to have worked well on these; the early stuff is a lot clearer and better to listen to, and even The Miracle and Innuendo are much sharper, with more snap and depth to the bass and drums.

The best way to hear Queen however is really with a proper DTS set up for A Night At The Opera and The Game DVD-A releases, and the Greatest Video Hits DVDs.

masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 23 May 07, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Without a doubt the latest japanese mini-vinyl editions...

...beatiful package and in most cases !REAL! high definition sound (not like ANATO 30 anniv. FAKE high definition sound)...

P.

Queen rocks!
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 23 May 07, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There wer two great topics about this, last year.

here´s one:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q_FORUM_ID=10&Q_FORUM_NAME=Queen+-++General+Discussion&TOPIC_SUBJECT=Japan+CDs+VS+Standard+CDs&Q=924986&page=1

I couldn´t find the other.

In my opinion the "News of the World" mimi lp edition beats everything. The vinyl was so bad, that this edition looks like gold.

And in this edition you can clearly hear who sings "Sheer Heart attack".

Others think it´s the Miracle album from mini lp edition.

But yes, the japanese edition is the best.

Take care

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 23 May 07, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was touched on a bit in that other thread, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion on these MSFL discs. I have all four, and they sound the best thru my Bose speakers / Crown Amp.

I bought all the EMI (imports) when they weren't available in the states. Then I bought all the Hollywood releases. Finally these MSFL discs, which I was really happy with upon 1st listen. I do not have any of the Japanese Mini CDs. Am I really missing out here?

Cygnus X-1

Posted: 23 May 07, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot for your replys! I bought the japanese Innuendo and Queen II today. 16 euros at my local record store, which isn't too much for a japanese import here in Germany :-) They sound fantastic, specialy Queen II! Since i have the original Vinyls, these "vinyl minis" have the same layout. I think I get all of them, but I have to look where... At Amazon.de , the japanese 24bit re-master of Live Killers cost over 50 Euros...crazy!

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 24 May 07, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobby_brown wrote:

here´s one:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q_FORUM_ID=10&Q_FORUM_NAME=Queen+-++General+Discussion&TOPIC_SUBJECT=Japan+CDs+VS+Standard+CDs&Q=924986&page=1

In my opinion the "News of the World" mimi lp edition beats everything. The vinyl was so bad, that this edition looks like gold.

Take care

Yes, there were 2 threads, the second was started
by me and I too can't find it, which is bad, because there was a wonderfull long comparision of the original cd editions, the 1991 HR release and the Japanese remasters . And I fool didn't save it :(

Posted: 25 May 07, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Bobby_brown wrote:

here´s one:

Take care

Yes, there were 2 threads, the second was started
by me and I too can't find it, which is bad, because there was a wonderfull long comparision of the original cd editions, the 1991 HR release and the Japanese remasters . And I fool didn't save it :(

Hello Pittrek, nice to see it was you who started that wonderfull topic. I can´t find it too ; (

But i will try again.
Now i´m gonna burn another DVD for some guy name Peter ; )

Take care

Posted: 25 May 07, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, the other topic was erased from Queenzone. I remember i´ve copy it to my hard drive to know what to buy and the link is dead ; (

But i copy the text of a wonderfull review made by someone who i can´t remember. I´m sorry for not guiving the credit he deserves but in case someone knows, just say it.

Here´s what he has said:

" Oh well, since this is here anyway I'll try to answer your slightly more specific question. I have at least 2 versions of each so I'll list which one I'd grab:

"Queen" - Hollywood version 1991. A warmer, not-so-harsh and tinny sound compared to the 2001 which actually hurts my ears at times.

"Queen II" - Hollywood 1991 again. While the 2001 version never hurts my ears, it does venture into the same type of sound. And I actually listened to the 2001 version last night and swore I heard some very minor but noticeable drop-outs.

"Sheer Heart Attack" - 2001 remaster for sure. Much fuller sound.

"A Night At The Opera" - 30th Anniversary, and preferably the DVD's PCM track which is noticeably better than the standard CD due to the higher sampling rate.

"A Day At The Races" - 2001 remaster. Flawless I think and a significant improvement over 1991.

"News Of The World" - 2001 remaster, absolutely. This is one of the two best of the 2001s. Big, rich sound that blows other versions away.

"Jazz" - Tough call. I'm gonna say the 1991 version because again, there's a warmth there which is missing on the over-loud, bit-too-tinny 2001 version. UK version from 1994 has a glitch during the intro of Fat Bottomed Girls which was carried over to 'Rocks'.

"Live Killers" - 2001 version all the way. This version sounds more rich and full than the weak 1991 version.

"The Game" - 2001 version. This is tied with NOTW as my favorites of the 2001 series. I've tried the PCM from the DVD-A and it was lacking something, and the 1991 version is totally lacking a fullness/bass.

"Flash Gordon" - 2001 version. Much like 'Live Killers', this isn't a very well-produced album and the 2001 remaster at least improves it slightly.

"Greatest Hits" - 2001 version, which is also contained in the U.S. Platinum Collection (not the European version) and "Greatest Hits - WWRY Edition". Major improvement from the early 90s UK version.

"Hot Space" - 2001 version. Excellent sound and much richer than the 1991 version.

"The Works" - This one kinda parallels 'Jazz'. Again, I think the 1991 version is slightly more pleasing sounding.. the 2001 is a bit too loud and kinda flat sounding.

"A Kind of Magic" - Very tough call. I actually like the sound of the 2001 version, though once it was pointed out that there was midrange missing, I heard it too.. I guess technically I'd have to say the 1991 version is more like it should be. I love this one as a 2004 card sleeve though.. being a gatefold and with such rich artwork.

"Live Magic" - 2001 version without a doubt. The 1996 Hollywood version is very weak compared to this. Major improvment.

"The Miracle" - Here again, like AKOM, if you like a sort of V-shaped EQ pattern like myself, the missing midrange won't bother you and this will sound nice. And since the 1991 Hollywood version has an alternate mix of 'I Want it All', this 2001 version is my best choice for an original representation of the album. I have the 1989 Capitol version as well and it's quite weak sounding compared to either of those.

"Innuendo" - original 1991 version. 2001 remaster is horrible at times. 'I Can't Live With You' sounds really harsh, other tracks sound weak.. they botched this one when remastering.

"Greatest Hits II" - 2001 version is much cleaner sounding, doesn't have that 'compressed' sound that the original 1991 version had. Plus they've restored the endin

Cygnus X-1

Posted: 26 May 07, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot Bobby Brown! Now this the perfect guide!!!

pittrek

Posted: 26 May 07, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A big THANKS for a guy named NUNO :) And also for the original author, of course :)

Deacon Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
on vacation
Deacon Fan
Royalty: 1757 posts

Posted: 26 May 07, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hehe.. that was me. Thanks for reposting it Bobby :)

Posted: 26 May 07, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the lesbian bunny wrote:

Hehe.. that was me. Thanks for reposting it Bobby :)

Just saved you all the trouble of writing it again ; )
Great review, thanks!

Take care

Posted: 26 May 07, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

A big THANKS for a guy named NUNO :) And also for the original author, of course :)

Yes, Nuno is a great guy ; )

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 29 May 07, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks I'm gonna save that list too :) Unlike CDs from other older bands I have, I do have to admit a lot of the older albums don't sound too bad on the 1991 Hollywood remasters (minus the missing measures on In The Lap Of The Gods, which I still haven't replaced)....

Do the gold discs have any plusses at all? I have the MFSL gold ADATR but I've never noticed much difference between it and the Hollywood 1991 version, but I guess it doesn't hurt to keep it anyway. I know remasters from other bands have actually surpassed their gold MFSL counterparts so maybe most gold discs are obsolete.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 30 May 07, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right. I have the early 2001/4 remasters to hand against my 90's versions. I'll post my observations on an album by post basis...

-Sheer Heart Attack-

Killer Queen - Here's something funny...On my HR version there's a humm noise at the begining of the track. This has been eliminated on the 2001 remaster. Good start for the 2001 ver!

A definite sharper sound on the 2001 version that sounds great on the opening intro. But once the track gets into full flow, it sometimes gets tiring. A little too much. I.E. 'Sh' and 'Sss' vocal sounds are uncomfortable. The guitar lead still sounds great, if that bit better than before.

Tenement Funster - Much better sound on the 2001 remaster. Ss sounds are nowhere near the sharpness on KQ, which is a relief! Spoke too soon... I still get that uncomfortable feeling on listening to the guitar solo bit in the middle. Too much sharp irratating sound that has me reaching for the volume knob! Drums sound nice and clear.

Flick Of The Wrist - Fuuuuuccckkk! Opening chord sounds soooo harsh on 2001 re.
This is horrible... The harmony vox near the beginning are very SS-ey. They're kinda like that on the 90's remaster, but not as pronounced at this 2001 ver makes them stand out more.
The only good point I can find is that the guitars come through nicely, though at the expense of the overall track. Nice lows, but kinda irrelevant with all else happening around it!

Lily of The Valley - Very nice on the 2001 re. Bass is nice and present. Ss-ey sounds from vocals is very low! Woohoo!

Now I'm Here - 2001 is nice in the intro. But the SS-ey problem comes into play again. In fact, the vocals sound harsher on my ears, even before harmony vox come in. What a dissapointment because, with the intro and some quieter vocal moments, it did sound really nice.

In The Lap Of The Gods - Even the 90's remaster was pushing the vocals and swooshy cymbal sounds hard in the opening, so I was really dreading the 2001 version...
Oooh...Not as bad as I was expecting. But there's still a lot of harsh vocal loudness going on. They must have recognised this would happen and de-essed the track a bit cause it's quite different sonically. But still drum cymbal hits are quite harsh.

Stone Cold Crazy - Again even the 90's remaster could push the limits a bit with the guitars. But it's very listenable. Wonder how the 2001 ver compares...
2001 ver certainly has a more thumping bass to it. Pretty cool. Shiiittt! Vocals come in and the SS-ey stuff comes in to play AGAIN! Guitar solo starts up and is also harsh and overly loud.

Dear Friends - Very nice surprise here with the 2001 version as Freddie's vox sound even more intimate than the 90's re. THIS track, so far, is the truest representation of how it was on the previous 90's remaster, but sooo much nicer. Fan-f-ing-tastic!

Misfire - 2001 is bassier. Not too bad on the SS-ey vocals. Still there, mind. Something I've definitely noticed in this track more than others is the limited dynamic range in play. On the 90's remaster, the harmony guitars on the left (19 secs in) sound really nice and present. But on the 2001 version, they're lacking any bounce or space like the older remaster has. In fact, even the mini-solo sounds nicer on the old re than the 2001 ver.
On this track, more than any previous song, I've heard this lessened dynamic range and it has distracted me after hearing how it was BEFORE the 2001 re listen. Shame...

Bring Back That Leroy Brown - 90's re is nice and spacious, great dynamics going on. Little Ss-ey, but very very rare.

2001... As soon as it started, it sounded like it had less of the spacious sound that the old re has. In fact the dynamics definitely sound less than they were. Even sounds more up front to the speakers. Not a nice change.

Funny bit with the guy with the low voice - that sounded brilliant on the 2001 ver!! lol Hey, if you like that guy, get the 2001 ver for sure! lol

She Makes Me - T

pittrek

Posted: 30 May 07, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This starts to be a REALLY interesting discussion :)

Toozeup user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 30 May 07, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Remaster, for a number of years meant going back to the multi-tracks and creating a new digital mix. The big criticism being that the resolution of CD's revealed too many faults on the original master tape and to some extent this was/is true. This went out of fashion as record companies no longer wanted the extra expence of remixing.

Personally I think the results are much better when a new mix is created but obviously it is difficult and time-consuming to replicate the original master and fans (and artists in some cases) moan about the mix not being quite the same. I think the early queen albums could seriously benefit from a new stereo digital mix (the 5.1 mix will happen sooner or later.) Just think how crisp they would sound with no generation loss!! A new mix supervised by Brian and Roy Thomas Baker would be awesome.

The works and AKOM could do with a remix too, as I understand it, they were recorded on analogue equipment then digitally mixed. So if they were to be remastered the only logical choice would be to re-transfer the multi-tracks with modern equipment (80's A/D converters were Bad). They would sound so much better and I don't think the fans would complain because nobody gives those albums much credit anyway.

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 733 posts

Posted: 30 May 07, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have yet to get the NOTW 2001 remaster. Still have that horrid Hollywood 1991 reissue with the chopped-off "It's Late," a crime if there ever was one.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 31 May 07, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:

I have yet to get the NOTW 2001 remaster. Still have that horrid Hollywood 1991 reissue with the chopped-off "It's Late," a crime if there ever was one.

I'll review that one next, then. I'm really hoping that Bobby's right about it. Should be great!

Adam.